8.12.08

And Now, for Men Only

Gentlemen, we women spend a lot of time in front of the mirror (as if you didn’t know). When I was in college, it used to take me a full fifteen minutes to fix myself up for a date. Every year since, I’ve had to add a few minutes. I’m now up to an hour and a half gussying myself up for an evening out.

Gentlemen, when your wife comes down the staircase all dolled up for a night out, or you pick a lady up for dinner, what do you say? If you make no comment except, “Well, are you ready to go?” how do you think that makes the lady feel?

My friend Gary is a nice gentleman and he occasionally takes me to dinner. I met him about twelve years ago, and I’ll never forget the first time he arrived on my doorstep for our date. He said, “Leil, you look great.” I adored his reaction!

I saw Gary a month or so later. On my doorstep again, “Leil, you look great.” The precise same words as the first time, but I still appreciated it.

It’s been twelve long years now that this gentleman and I have been friends. I see him about once every two months, and every darn time it’s the same old comment, “Leil, you look great.” (I think I’ll show up one evening in a flannel nightshirt and a mud pack on my face. I swear Gary will say, “Leil, you look great.”)

During my seminars, to help men avoid Gary’s mistake, I ask every male to think of a synonym for pretty or great. Then I bring up one woman and several men. I ask each to pretend he is her husband. She has just come down the stairs ready to go out to dinner. I ask each to take her hand and deliver his compliment.

“Darla,” one says, “you look elegant.”

“Ooh!” Every woman in the room sighs.

“Darla,” says another, taking her hand, “you look stunning.”

“Ooh!” Every woman in the room swoons.

“Darla,” says the third, putting her hand between his, “you look ravishing.”

“Ooooh!” By now every woman in the room has gone limp.

Pay attention men! Words work on us women.

No comments:

Find the best blogs at Blogs.com.

Additional resource recommended by How to talk: